Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ski Cross, Watersheds and Hollywood North! OH my!



GOLD LADIES SKI CROSS
Congratulations to B.C.'s Ashleigh McIvor from Whistler who won a GOLD medal in Ladies Ski Cross... A proud moment for the home town! This is the first time that Ski Cross has been in any Winter Olympics. How kewl it was won by a Canadian. Same thing happened with Ross Rebagliati's Gold win for the first ever snowboarding Olympic event which made him an international star when he nearly lost the medal for having marijuana pot smoke in his blood! That's why they call it BC Gold no doubt! heheheheh

▌ ♥ ▌ GO CANADA GO! ▌♥ ▌


ARCHIVING PHOTOS
I have been busy tonight going through archives of photos trying to transfer them for back up. Thousands and thousands of Sunshine Coast smiles from over the years. Nice to see. I have emailed the Royal BC Museum in Victoria to see if they would be interested in storing the archives for future generations. I am not really sure what to do with them otherwise. The Sunshine Coast Museum and Archives said it is just too large a collection for them and their wonderful volunteers. I also don't exactly make huge bucks from them either.

PHOTO BOOK and SELLING PHOTOS
Maybe a couple times a year people want to buy the photos and usually they want them for free in exchange for exposure and a photo credit. This is probably cause I am so busy helping others that I haven't gotten the business end of things together. I had planned for the past five years to have an inspirational photo book out for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics but one of our esteemed and terrific local publishers basically laughed and said you photographers are all alike but don't get me wrong your photos are fabulous Duane. Sigh....

RIGHT PASSION WRONG JOB TIMING
I kept hoping maybe someone some day would come forward with the cash and know how to finance and publish a coffee table book with me. During a walk around Kinnikinnick park today I thought to myself that I have the right passion for photography and community but perhaps the wrong timing for making a career out of it or sustaining a living as everyone has a camera, a computer and an instant social network so the value of photos has changed a lot over the years. Hence I am thinking seriously and am making moves to stop taking photos altogether now. Transformation time. Sure sucks though that I have been unemployed since October and my health has been horrid. It's all good, right. It's always a good day on the Sunshine Coast!

ZAC EFRON MOVIE: CHARLIE ST. CLOUD
Yesterday I talked about my campaign to get on The Ellen DeGeneres TV Show and movie actor Zac Efron in my blog. Zac Efron was in Gibsons, BC, (which recently won the Best Town in the World award,) filming his movie The Life and Death of Charlie St. Cloud (see photos) It was huge Hollywood North excitement for our rural town, and stars Ray Liota, Kim Basinger, Amanda Crew, Dave Franco, Donal Logue, and Charlie Tahan. Hundreds of fans showed up to get a glimpse or photo with Zac.. and of course I was right there to capture all the excitement for the community and my own fascination for behind the scenes making of movies and television.

I"M IN THE MOVIE
I even got a chance to be a professional background performer ( extra ) in two scenes with Zac Efron. Since a kid I have always been thrilled with movie magic and all the behind the scenes lights, camera, special effects! Check out my acting profile on the Hollywood North casting website. Hopefully I don't end up on the cutting room floor. All of us are looking forward to our 1/4 second of big screen fame! ha ha!

DOCUMENTARY INTERVIEW
In today's blog photo, I am interviewed by a film crew documenting the making of the movie. The interviewer asked me what Gibsons thought of the movie being filmed on the Sunshine Coast and I told them everyone was thrilled to see Zac, their favourite bad guy Ray Liota, and were disappointed that Kim Basinger didn't come to town during filming. They said it might be used for the DVD extra outtakes and added bonus features section.

GIRLS NIGHT OUT
On March 10, 2010, our local St. Mary's Hospital Auxiliary is having their annual "Girls Night Out" at the Gibsons Legion. Last year I was auctioned off and we caught all the action of the evening in tons of great PHOTOS of all the lovely volunteer ladies! ( SEE PHOTOS )

This YEAR I have donated a $350. framed matted archival print of the Chapman Creek Watershed mist for the fund raising auction that I had made up for an Art Show back in November 2008. I thought there was no point in it sitting around collecting dust if no one will buy it so why not help this tremendous group who do so much for our local hospital. SEE PRINT

CHAPMAN CREEK MUSIC VIDEO
I had the great privilege of meeting talented Sunshine Coast singer Allison Barkley and she gave me her kind permission to make a youtube music video slide show of Chapman Creek using my photos and her gorgeous song "Waterfall". Check it out.. warning you may need to have kleenex tissues on hand.. its a powerful emotional heartfelt song. Chapman Creek Watershed by Duane Burnett and Allison Barkley

Enjoy! Thanks for checking and reading my blog! All the best, Yours for the Planet, Duane

No comments:

Post a Comment